This 1939 Marion Business Directory lists all Marion Illinois businesses by category of trade.
Category Archives: Businesses
In 1921 the regional theatre firm of Reid, Yemm and Hayes decided to build a showplace that would be the “flagship” of their circuit, which would have the largest seating capacity and stage facility in the area. On January 2, 1922, the first patrons entered and the “Orpheum Theater” was born. Continue reading
“The coming of the “hard” roads to Southern Illinois in the 1920’s, some called it “coming out of the mud” — was a mixed blessing. Continue reading
G.J. Frick Cash Grocery was owned and operated by an interesting man named Gottlieb James Frick. Gottlieb and his wife Pearl appear to have opened the grocery around 1905 and then for reasons unknown moved to New Mexico for a short period around 1910. Continue reading
This staff photo was found at the Wiliamson County Historical Society. No date was on the photo but appears to date by concensus to the 1920’s when the paper was active.
Samuel Casey was the editor/publisher of this paper which he formed with James Felts in 1902. Both had earlier holdings in the Egyptian Press as well.
Samuel surrendered his interest in the Egyptian Press in 1907 when he suffered an illness, but continued to edit and publish the Marion Evening Post. Casey died in 1939.
Shown left to right are: Samuel K. Casey, Billie Wilson, E.R. Jones, Leo Lackey, Leon Felts, Laura Belle Skaggs, Elizabeth Hartwell, Minto Bradley, S. Perryman and Howard Oliver. If you have knowledge of any individuals in the photo let us know
(Photo courtesy of the Williamson County Historical Society)