Egyptian Powder Company

The Egyptian Powder Company was a post turn of the century business that was the first known to manufacture explosives in Southern Illinois. It cranked out kegs of blasting powder for local and national mines, employed as many as 70 people, became part of the Olin empire and was a downright dangerous place to work.

Though at this point in time, the original owners of the Egyptian Powder Company are unknown, it is known that the company started producing blasting powder for coal mine operation in 1904. An article found in the March 12th, 1904, Carbondale Free Press stated, “The first shipment of powder from the Egyptian Powder Company was made Thursday. This is probably the first powder ever shipped from Southern Illinois. It consisted of 200 kegs. The plant from which it was shipped is situated midway between Marion and Carterville.” Continue reading

Maynard, Clyde O. 1912-1999, Civic Leader

Clyde Owen Maynard, one of the original Marion Park District Commissioners in 1957 and an active civic leader, was born April 18, 1912, in Herrin to Otis A. Maynard (1882-1926) and Nellie Williams (1887-xxxx).

The 1920 federal census found 7 year old Clyde in his parents’ home at 1004 S. 13th Street in Herrin, Illinois, which they owned free of mortgage. His parents were aged 36 and 32 respectively and his father was working as a mine boss. Siblings of Clyde living in the home were Ruth 14, Leonard 13, Paul 11 and Marvin age 4. Continue reading

Kaeser Lumber Company

In 1930, at the beginning of the great depression, Fred Kaeser purchased the old Stotlar-Herrin Lumber Company business located at 602 N. Market Street and re-named it Kaeser Lumber Company. He accomplished this with the help of his sons, Walter and Albert, who helped run the business and his daughter, Katherine Barbara Kaeser who served as the bookkeeper for thirty years before returning to college and earning a degree in elementary education. Continue reading

Kaeser Family History

John Kaeser and his wife, Emelia Walther moved from St. Morgan, Illinois, to Williamson County in 1884 and settled on a farm east of Marion at the old Moeller Crossroad (Rt. 13 and 166). They brought with them their two sons Louis, ten years old, and Fred, eight years of age, along with daughter Emelia who was then six years of age. John Kaeser’s parents came from Switzerland in a sailboat during the late 1700’s or early 1800’s. Continue reading

1887, Goodspeed History of Williamson County

The Goodspeed version of the book covering the history of Williamson County was officially called, “The History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties” and subtitled “From the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with Sundry and Interesting Biographical Sketches, Notes, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc.” and was published in 1887 by the Goodspeed Publishing. Continue reading